Sadly, Spencer and Epona will not be playing together anymore. They got into a fight today. Epona was hurt (by accident, not by bite…one of her nails caught on the doorway they were in when the fight broke out).
I feel really bad on several counts:
- They seemed to mostly enjoy each other’s company despite issues over sharing toys, and now they won’t have the opportunity to play together.
- They won’t get to go for walks together either, because Epona’s owners are convinced she won’t forgive and forget. (Spencer was already looking for her to play with 10 minutes later…)
- Even if it’s not serious, I’m sorry Epona’s hurt and sorry she was stressed.
- I should have been more insistent on putting the toys in a place where Spencer couldn’t reach them. Since it was clear Epona didn’t want to share, I kept putting them up out of her reach, but eternal optimist that he is, Spencer kept grabbing them off the table and trying to get her to play.
- While Epona’s mistress is being very understanding, his master is convinced it is all Spencer’s fault. I don’t want to get into a blame game. I have my ideas based on their relative behavior all week and their positions before and during the fight, but I was there and can’t be 100% sure, so how can someone who wasn’t present?
Anyway, here’s a lovely photo of them napping together earlier in the afternoon. This is how I’d like to remember their friendship.